Wednesday 18 July 2012

The Isle of Skye (tea and cake!).....

I'm ashamed to admit that even though I live here, I haven't really spent much time exploring the Island!  It's true what they say, that when something is on your doorstep - you take it for granted.
So...... we went for a wee outing up to Portree where we visited the new Skyeworks Gallery which is situated above the Isle of Skye Bakery "eat in shop". The bakery shop has tables and chairs so you can purchase soup, bread, cakes (very yum!) coffee and they also have a large selection of loose leaf teas which the staff are very happy to help you decide on, if you're a tea novice like myself!
photo from http://skyeworksgallery.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/gallery-photos/
The gallery upstairs is an absolutely beautiful space - the light is gorgeous and they had brilliant exhibitions running showcasing paintings and textile pieces by Helena Emmans and Marion Boddy-Evans to name just a few.  They also had the most amazing furniture made from reclaimed oak whisky barrels..... I wish I had a bigger house!  One of the elements that I found most exciting, was the extensive list of classes they are currently running...jewellery making, sewing, knitting and crochet and they also have a large stock of gorgeous fabrics.. Amy Butler, Kaffe Fasset and Joel Dewberry (just a few from their selections!) as well as yarn and jewellery making supplies.  This is such a welcome (modern!) addition to the area and hopefully it will be well supported.... I already have my eye on some gorgeous turquoise fabric!

After Portree we headed to Ellishadder Art Cafe.  I'd never been this far north on the Island and the views are absolutely breath taking.  It was a slightly over cast day but I can imagine that it would be even more spectacular on a bright clear day.  En route you pass some great scenic landmarks and you can walk up to see The Old Man of Storr and also Kilt Rock

There really is a warm welcome at the cafe (from Ellie the cat as well as the owners!) and the food was absolutely delicious... we had a lovely home made roasted vegetable soup and bread followed by cake (of course!) and it was all served in the most gorgeous crockery from the Uig Pottery who have designed a range specifically for the cafe.  They serve a range of loose leaf teas, and I was introduced to the world of biodynamic gardening!

images from http://www.ellishadderartcafe.co.uk/#
The gallery showcases the work of husband and wife team Maggie and Stuart Quigley, Stuart's paintings surround you while you sit and eat and you can't help but be inspired by the gorgeous colours. Given my love of all things A)wool and B) teal, purple or turquoise... I was particularly taken with Maggie's hand woven cushions and would love one day to be able to get one of her rugs..... hint hint Ian if you're reading this!
 
images from http://www.ellishadderartcafe.co.uk/#
I can't recommend either place enough (or our beautiful Island) and I will be investigating more of the Island's tearooms soon  x
Ps there is a lot more to do on Skye than just tea drinking and cake eating..... they just happen to be some of my favourite past times ;o) x

No comments:

Post a Comment