Saturday 10 May 2014

First play with Annie Sloan paint

My husband and I have very different taste....I used to think that he would like to furnish an entire room in one hit by opening the Next catalogue and buying the entire range (plus co ordinating soft furnishings!) Whereas I'm a lot more eclectic and love old preloved items which look like they have history.
Well....it's taken 4 years of marriage....but I've finally worn him down to the point that not only is he coming around to my way of thinking but he's willingly helping me make them over :)
I've seen so many fab makeovers on Pinterest with Annie Sloan Chalk paint so was desperate to give it a try and see what all the hype was was about.  I was lucky to get a gorgeous chest of drawers from our local Facebook free ads, it's a fantastic size and really solid. My husband is super practical and great at wood work, so he fixed the bases on a couple of the drawers and removed the hardware which we kept and reused as it was.
I didn't get a proper before pic...
but as you can see it was pretty old school, and although there was nothing majorly wrong with it, it definitely would not have suited our house.....
A couple of quick coats of Annie Sloan Old White and I absolutely love it!!!
The paint really was as easy and lovely to use as people rave on.  My husband sanded back the top and pedestal - the wood isn't perfect but it has a warm homely worn look to it. I didn't want to go to mad with the distressing as this was my first attempt and I didn't want to over do it so just rubbed over all the edges and natural "wear areas" with some fine grade steel wool.
Now we just have to manoeuvre it upstairs to our bedroom!




No comments:

Post a Comment