Wednesday 2 July 2014

Why I love what I do......

As most of you who follow me on Facebook will have seen, I recently recovered these rather bleurgh cushions in Harris Tweed for a friend.
The chair looks absolutely stunning back home, I love this house so much, it has the most gorgeous light, views and homely feel.


The owners were delighted with the chair and I got a lovely message saying that his wife had been stood admiring the chair and just smiling away for the last half an hour.  
I can't tell you what an absolute luxury it is for me, in this day and age when people are so busy being stressed and rushing about, to be able to make someone stop for a few minutes and just take pleasure in a simple thing.
I love what I do.
I think that when you take pleasure in what you're making, some of that must pass into whatever you are creating. 
I know that some people (family and friends included) don't think that what I do is a "real" job. Probably because to most people "work" is by it's nature laborious, tiresome and something only done to pay the bills.  Now I know I'm not likely to become financially rich, but I don't long for shiny new cars, a big house or a boat (sorry Ian!) for me making and creating is a way of being, and a quality of life that comes from job satisfaction and the pleasure in making people stop and smile. 
Of course, job satisfaction doesn't pay bills. We have three daughters and I don't want them to feel like they're ever missing out on anything. It is this that motivates me at midnight when I'm still out in the cabin, or when I'm up at the crack of dawn sewing while everyone else is tucked up in bed.  It keeps me going on the gloriously sunny days, when I'd love to be out for a walk but instead I'm sweltering in my wee cabin to get orders finished.
I feel I am very , very lucky to be able to work around my family, and to be one of the few who loves what they do....real job or not ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment